The day before the race, I took my bike out for a shakedown and followed it up with a short run -- the whole time I was out, all I could do was make a list of the things that truly define the place where I'm from.
And here it is: New England... A place where...
- You can easily drive through six states in one day.
- Every main route follows a river.
- Every city is a town and every town is a village.
- Every town has a town center with a farmers market, a town green, a church and a railroad station. If it weren't for super highways, all major routes would go through these town centers.
- Every house has a historical plaque with a date on it.
- Everyone waves to you as you walk, run, ride or drive by. Even if they don't know you.
- The only sign of technology is a local video rental store.
- The GPS on my iPhone cannot locate me and there's no 3G network.... There's no network, period.
- "Off-road vehicle" means snowmobile.
- Every grocery store is a bait shop and every bait shop is a grocery store.
- The mailman still walks to deliver the mail.