Saturday, October 20, 2012

Catharsis: a Beginning

The Kona fallout is in full swing. The crying. The insomnia. The questions. The search for answers. The kicking myself. The hating myself. The wondering about the future. The doubts. The fear of getting back into training just to fail again.

I've also had doubts about continuing to blog. I don't get much feedback here so I assume few people are at all interested. I guess I just write for myself. Of late, I've reconnected with a very good friend with whom I hope to run over the winter. He is a scientist and philosopher and I've been encouraging him to write a blog because, selfishly, I want reference material for our future running conversations. I told him my thoughts on whether I should continue writing despite having little impact. He gave me the following huge compliment: "Your stuff is interesting because you dare to try to do stuff that is big and then you 'break.' And you make the breaks sound so interesting."

So I decided to channel my negative energy into something productive involving this blog - a new goal to include in it. My thoughts went directly to the other great (creative) passion in my life - the thing I neglect when I'm training and racing - my art.

My new (and I admit, lofty) goal is to do a drawing a day for one year. Starting today.

I've given myself a little leeway. The drawings can be quick incomplete sketches or large-scale manifestaions in color. On anything from barmats or napkins to acid-free 100% cotton paper.

And so it begins... my first drawing is in a sketchbook, and it is a continuation of a group of drawings that I recently renamed "Catharsis" (at the suggestion of a friend) because it involves working through pain and injury.

And here it is, my first drawing in the series, a representation of how my shoulder feels since I fell on it while running this summer:


3 comments:

  1. I really enjoy the blogs ... the analysis of the race. I really like the idea of a sketch a day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sometimes wonder if I should keep the blog running as well. But I realize that at some point a web search may bring someone to my blog and they can learn something from one of my posts.

    Cool picture. Interested in seeing more drawings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been keeping up like i should. But this sketch rocks. I tried something like it once (sketch a day. THere is a site called Every Day Matters, which is around that concept.

    Keep up the blog, please. Even when we don't comment, we enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete